Review: Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
OverviewType: eReaders, Gadgets
Pros:High Speed Ink System (HSIS), Fast, Lightweight, Easy to use.WiFi
Cons:Slow start up
The Cybook Odyssey is the first e-reader ever to incorporate Bookeen’s exclusive technology, the High Speed Ink System, providing an extremely rapid interface which has never been seen before in electronic ink devices.
The Cybook Odyssey from Bookeen is available in black with the back casing made from brushed aluminum and is delivered with over 100 books to get you up can going (more than 30 in English).
- Equipped with exclusive HSIS (High Speed Ink System ) technology for an amazingly fast speed on an E Ink® pearl screen
- A 6” screen in a compact design
- A premium device with a robust and classy aluminium back
- A multi-touch interface
- A fast Wi-Fi connectivity
- 20 font sizes
- Thousands of books available in seconds
- Support Major open formats
Multi-Touch paperlike Display
6’’ E Ink® Pearl Display
600 x 800 pixels
Resolution: 167 dpi
Technology: E Ink Pearl (V220)
Fast & Powerful Engine
CPU: Cortex A8 TI OMAP3611 800MHz
RAM: 128MB LP DDR
High Speed Ink System (HSIS)
Ultra reactive User Interface
Fluid Web browsing
Elegant & Compact Design
Dimensions: 166mm x 120mm x 9mm
Weight: 195g – 6.87 oz*
Aluminum back casing
Buttons: Page Forward, Page Back, Menu
Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
Weeks of Battery Life
Battery: 1650 mAh
Battery Life: approx 25,000 page flips
Internal Memory: 2GB (iNAND),
approx. 2,000 ebooks (*)
Expansion Slot: microSDHC up to 32GB,
approx. 32,000 ebooks
USB: microUSB for transferring file and charging
Personal screensaver pictures
Audio: 3.5mm stereo
Hundred of books included
User interface in 23 languages
Web browser included
OS Linux 2.6.31
20 font sizes
Software features: notes/bookmark/
highlights/dictionary (French version)
Supported ebook standards: ePub, PDF,
Adobe® DRM, HTML, TXT, FB2
Pictures: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, ICO, TIF, PSD
What is High Speed Ink System (HSIS)?
HSIS is an architecture developed by Bookeen and results from 2 years of research & development. This architecture is made of hardware and software components in order to boost electronic ink.
Cornerstones of HSIS which are incorporated within the Cybook Odyssey are:
- Optimized software stack and algorithms, developed with quality and performance in mind from the ground up. The main goals are to increase computing speed and refresh display rate thanks to a very sharp display management.
- An E Ink Pearl touch display providing a best-in-class e-paper reading experience.
- A dedicated Cortex A8 processor, developed by Texas Instruments in partnership with Bookeen, which brings pure and efficient horsepower.
What does HSIS bring to the Cybook Odyssey?
- Comfort: an intuitive e-reading experience.
- Speed: a reactive and smooth user interface.
- Power efficiency: record battery life.
For example, the Cybook Odyssey is the first e-paper reader to provide rolling menus or a scrolling web browser.
For more info please visit: www.bookeen.com